Principles of Ninjutsu - Philosophy
The Five Manifestations
- Earth - a solid state, a natural posture.
- Water - a liquid state, a defensive posture.
- Fire - an energy releasing state, an offensive posture
- Wind - a gaseous state, a receiving posture
- Void - subatomic energy, potential, the substance from which things take form.
The Five Weaknesses
The five weaknesses are based upon the manifestations above and link to the basic traits that an individual may exhibit. The Ninja was expert in observing these traits and exploiting them for his/her own ends.
The Five Needs
The Ninja was also able to exploit the needs of an adversary. In doing so it was possible to manipulate events and have debts repaid. The Ninja could then be at the centre of activity yet remain hidden.